Thursday, December 19, 2013

Short Not Sweet and "A Meal Without Food"

Well, it's that durn season again... i Love it and long for it every year, and each year it's the same. Well not the same, exactly.. But it's the same in some aspects. Different each year by the amount of understanding i have of how God sent this kid to save us all, and then how He's going to come back. It's all pretty awesome, and i always gain just a bit more understanding from it each year. But, it is too vast for me to grasp completely. Too unbelievable. Too awesome. And i am more thankful than last year.

But how about it? This Winter Break (i'll be graduated this time next year, not a huge deal), i decided to take a "J-Term" course. It's a fiction writing course and i'm hoping it cycles into writing nonfiction a little bit because that's what i've got to do for my career. Hah. i Wanted to share a small exercise i just finished for class on here. It's pretty random, but it was entertaining to write. i Was told to write a dialogue between two people without any explanations, quotations, or setting descriptions. Purely a conversation. Here's an attempt at it, and let it be known my teacher hasn't graded this yet. So, you can wait with me to see if i failed and "misunderstood the assignment." Who knows? Commas may not have been allowed! i Got a kick out of the assignment. Probably because it felt funny to always struggle with always saying "he said/she said," junk, and then not being allowed to use any of that!  Note: Basically each new line is a new person speaking, but on here the format got all messed up. So the main note: each ellipses is the same person speaking. It just indicates a more than brief pause.

"A Meal Without Food"
How many is in your party?
Just me.
Right this way, sir.
Thanks.
You know you hostesses can sure look nice.
Yes, we do clean up nicely huh.
Is this table all right?
Oh, I didn’t think I had a choice in a place like this.
Only the best for someone with such class.
Can I get you anything Mr.-?
Mr. Grant, but please call me Jack.
...
But more importantly, what's your name?
Well, it's Diana and thank you for taking an interest in me sir, but I must be going back to--
Diana. That's a lovely name. It fits for someone with such elegance.
Well thank you sir, but really I must be going-- 
What on earth for, Diana?
Excuse me, I would say if you hadn't interrupted.
Sorry. Please continue and excuse my childish and plain rude behavior.
You're excused. You see, I normally would say I should head back to the front, but looking at the time now it's time for me to clock out or my boss will get angry. It has been a long day for me and I'm exhausted. I'm sorry for taking so much of your time sir, let me go get a serv--
You poor soul. No more "sir's" please, and this may be too forward but could I invite you and your husband to lunch?
You could, but the male companion would be lacking and my lunch time was an hour ago. Have a good day Jack.
Please, please don't leave. I haven't heard a woman as pretty as you say my name that sweetly since my wife--
...
For another time. Ms. Diana, it would be an honor if you came to a meal with me, even if the food wasn't present. 
Why would it be a meal then?
To pretend we were conversing over food, without the food. It doesn't make much sense, so we shouldn't think too hard about it.
I must say you are a different man than I've ever encountered, quite different in fact than my late--
No, don't say it. Stop where you are. This conversation is hurting enough. If my chances are decreasing by the second of you sitting down with me, after clocking out, I'm going to leave before you do.
No, no. Jack. Jack, stay right here. I'll be back before you know it! In fact, I might sit with you so long, you'll get tired of me.
I wholeheartedly, doubt it.
-fin.


No comments:

Post a Comment